It’s the new year and now is the time to get into your home and organize it. You know it’s been crazy over the holidays and you were not worried about how things went as long as your home looked clean and ready for guest, now though as you enjoy the day after Christmas you may realize you need a bit of help in getting your home back to normal. Below I have a few tips to help quickly organize your home for the new year.
My Five Quick Tips for New Year Organization
1. Get your Holiday decorations in order
There are many ways to store your holiday décor, but many people don’t know how to do it. It’s actually very easy and can be cheap. My tip here is to hit up the dollar store for storage and bubble wrap. You can also order great storage for your decorations on Amazon.com
2. Do one room at a time.
You are not going to be able to organize your home over the weekend. It’s going to take time and there is going to be a bit of a mess for a while.
- Get a piece of paper and create 2 columns.
- Write down each room in your home, put the smaller rooms in one column and the bigger rooms in the next.
- In the smaller room column circle every 2-3 rooms, each circle represents one week of time spent on those rooms.
- The bigger room column should be one room each week. If you have an overly large kitchen then add another week.
Yes this is going to take a month or two, but you will appreciate the outcome when you are done.
3. Get rid of non-used clothing
- I’m sure you have heard this tip before, but it’s easier said then done. Here is how I do it every year.
- Go though all of your clothing, throw out or donate anything you hate, anything that is too big (exceptions are big sweaters but only one or two!) or too small.
- Once that is done, do the hanger trick, place all of your hangers the opposite way you normally do. Then as you wear the clothing put the hangers the other way. In 6 months see what clothing you have worn and what you have not. Donate what you have not. (again, exceptions are formal wear and other special occasion things)
- 4. Have your kids help with their rooms
- Many people think that mom or dad have to do all the organizing in the kids rooms, but if your children are old enough have them help. Let them pick out the storage and ask them questions about how they want their rooms to look. When a child has an input in what is going on they are more likely to take pride in their space and keep it looking good.
- 5. Don’t Stress
Organizing takes time, but when you take the time to do it, the next time is so much easier. Lets start 2017 the right way and get things done. Don’t stress about the mess. Just go into another room, have a cup of tea or a glass of wine and think about how nice it will be when it’s all done. It will get done!
I hope these tips help you with organizing your New Year. Make sure to subscribe to my mailing list to get more tips on organizing your home this new year!